It was a great start for the Lake Fenton varsity football team Friday at Corunna High School.

The Blue Devils started out strong and led 20-0 before the Cavaliers even knew what hit them.

However, the second half was a different story for the Blue Devils.

Corunna dominated the second half, scoring the game’s final 28 points in a 28-20 Cavaliers’ victory.

“Things were going our way but we were running out of gas a little bit,” Lake Fenton varsity football coach Marty Borski said. “We are a little banged up, but we were still in control of the game at halftime and felt good about what we were doing. Corunna put on a nice comeback. We had turnover issues in the second half and some of the penalties we got were off the charts.”

The Blue Devils started out just fine. Lake Fenton drove the field on its first possession, scoring on a 37-yard Andrew Heron TD run. Ashton Hunter converted the extra-point putting the Blue Devils up 7-0.

On Corunna’s next possession, Lake Fenton’s Zach Hempsall recorded a sack resulting in a fumble by the Corunna quarterback. Mason Skyner scooped up the fumble and scored from 28 yards out. Hunter made the extra point, raising the Lake Fenton lead to 14-0 just six minutes into the game.

Lake Fenton scored the first TD of the second quarter as well. This one came on a Reid Shumaker 13-yard TD pass to John Grigg. The extra-point was blocked and Lake Fenton led 20-0. The lead was 20-6 at halftime after Corunna scored on a two-yard TD run late in the first half.

Three Lake Fenton turnovers killed the Blue Devils in the second half. A Corunna interception set up a three-yard TD run and a two-point conversion cutting Lake Fenton’s lead to just 20-14. On Lake Fenton’s next possession a Corunna interception resulted in a 30-yard interception return for a TD. The extra-point gave Corunna its first lead at 21-20.

A Lake Fenton fumble at the Corunna 15 ended the Blue Devils’ next potential scoring drive. Corunna responded with a 25-yard TD reception giving the Cavaliers a 28-20 lead with 8:32 left.

The Blue Devils looked like they had a chance to at least tie it after a 27-yard TD pass, but a penalty nullified the score.

“Im proud of the way the kids played. It was probably one of our best games in a couple of years,” Borski said. “Honestly, the pick six was a terrible call on my part. I did not call a good game. Our kids played their tails off. I don’t put an ounce of blame on them. I put it all on my shoulders.”

The Blue Devils (2-3) will travel to one of the Metro League Stripe Division team’s venue for the final regular season week on Friday. At press time it was unknown who that opponent would be, but it will be Swartz Creek, Kearsley or Linden.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.