The game had everything one would suspect of a thriller.

 It had a controversial call. It had a lot of offense. The game also remained close throughout the contest.

 However, when the final horn sounded at Lake Fenton High School, the Lake Fenton varsity football team suffered a tough loss to the expected favorites in the Flint Metro League Stars Division, losing to the Brandon Blackhawks 48-40.

 “We did some really nice things (offensively),” Lake Fenton varsity football coach Marty Borski said. “Our running game was really good. Our passing game was very good. We definitely grew up a little bit. Honestly, as a team I’m incredibly proud of these kids.

 “Hats off to Brandon. Obviously they are an excellent football team. They lost their quarterback and they replaced him with who was probably their best athlete and best runner. The last I heard he ran for 353 yards.”

 The Blue Devils never led, but were tied with the Blackhawks at three different times. Brandon quarterback Micah Miller scored on a two-yard run early in the first quarter, but the Blue Devils responded with a 28-yard TD run by Lucas Storm.. The teams were tied at 7-all.

 Brandon retook the lead with 1:42 left in the first quarter on a 14-yard TD pass from Miller to Gavin Greil, but the Blue Devils responded with the tying score just 45 seconds into the second quarter. It came on a 11-yard pass from Reid Shumaker to Jack Conley. The game was tied at 14-all.

 Brandon then answered back with what was the most controversial play of the game. Dylan Dickens appeared to be tackled but the refs didn’t blow a whistle. Instead, he ran for a 70-yard TD run. Lake Fenton trailed 21-14.

 “We alligator rolled him and his knee was clearly downed,” Borski said. “He raised himself back up off of his knee. It was kind of a bang, bang play. They didn’t blow the whistle, and our kids stopped. It’s a tough break. That’s a bad break. We had thousands of opportunities to overcome that and we came up just short.”

 The Blue Devils would tie the game one more time. It came when Storm recovered a fumble and returned it five yards for the score. However, before the half was over, Brandon’s Lance Briolat threw a 25-yard TD pass from Damon Warren. Brandon took a 28-21 lead into the half.

 The Blackhawks scored the first TD of the second half as well. Dickens threw a 23-yard TD pass to Drew Hickmott, upping Brandon’s lead to 35-21.

 However, the Blue Devils didn’t give up. Shumaker tossed a 19-yard TD pass to Brandon Bossert and then tossed a 55-yard TD pass to Luke Simmons. However, the extra-point was no good and the Blue Devils trailed 35-34 as the game entered the fourth quarter.

 Dickens gave Brandon a 41-34 lead on a seven-yard TD run with 9:37 left in the contest. Then, Storm responded for Lake Fenton with a one-yard TD run. The extra point was blocked and the Blue Devils still trailed 41-40 with 5:04 left.

 Brandon scored with 1:41 remaining and took a 48-40 lead with 1:40 left in the contest. The Blue Devils had a chance drive the field for the potential TD and two-point conversion, but were unable to do so.

 “Nobody wants to lose but if we handle this properly, we can turn this loss into a major positive,”  Borski said. “If nothing else, it proves to ourselves that we belong. These kids are fired up for the next game. They are chomping at the bit.”

 Lake Fenton (2-1) hosts a good Corunna squad Friday.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.