The deadline to register for the 40th annual Michigan Senior Olympic Summer Games is fast approaching. The last day to register is Friday, July 19.
The Games will be held Aug. 9-18, throughout Oakland and Macomb counties. More than 1,000 athletes will come from all over the state of Michigan to compete. The athletes must be at least 50 years and older to participate.
The Michigan Senior Olympics is a non-profit organization that promotes healthy lifestyles by organizing state games, sports competitions and health, fitness, and wellness programs for active individuals 50 years and older. The Olympic Games take place every summer and winter and their vision is to provide all individuals 50 years plus with programs to enjoy healthy and active lifestyles.
This year’s Summer Games include:
• 3v3 Basketball
• Bocce Ball
• Disc Golf
• Free Throw and 3 Point Contest
• Table Tennis
• 5K & 10K
• Track and Field
The community is invited to the Opening Ceremony on Friday, Aug. 9 at Bloomer Park in Rochester Hills, from 6 to 8 p.m. Bring your family to this free event that includes the torch arrival ceremony, music by Toppermost (Beatles tribute band), free food from Detroit BBQ Company, vendor tables, inflatables, and much more.
Below are some dates for important upcoming Michigan Senior Olympics Events.
• DanceSport competition — Sunday, Aug. 4 at Royal Park Hotel. For tickets call (248) 608-0252.
• Opening Ceremony (Free event, open to the community) — Friday, Aug. 9, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Bloomer Park in Rochester Hills
• USPBL at Jimmy Johns Field — Saturday, Aug. 10. Call the box office at (248) 759-5278 to reserve you seats.
• Celebration of Athletes Dinner — Thursday, Aug. 15 (with special guest speaker Detroit Lions Alumni, Lomas Brown). For tickets, call (248) 608 0252.
Michigan Senior Olympics is in need of volunteers to help at the upcoming summer games. They may have many volunteer opportunities available including working check-in tables, scorekeeping, and directing athletes where to go on courses. All volunteers will receive a free T-shirt.
There are also sponsorship opportunities that can be customized to best suit your needs. Current major sponsorships include; Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Bellbrook Senior Community, Trinity Health Senior Communities, Pomeroy Living, Oakland County Parks, Nu Life Medical, Stonecrest Senior Living, and Heartland – Oakland.
If interested in sponsorship or volunteer opportunities call (248) 608-0252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.