Jeremy Michael Heath

 Jeremy Michael Heath, 43, formerly of Holly Township, was arrested in Wyoming last month in connection to a homicide in Holly Township nearly a decade ago.

 According to county17.com, police in Gillette, Campbell County, Wyoming arrested Heath on Aug. 1 on an outstanding arrest warrant out of Michigan. Gillette police were alerted to Heath’s warrant and whereabouts by a state fraud investigator.

 He is jailed and awaiting extradition back to Michigan.

 Heath is the suspect in a homicide that took place Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009. According to the Michigan Department of Corrections, Heath is classified as an absconder from probation since April 17, 2009 from earlier convictions, as well as a suspect in this homicide.

 According to Michigan State Police, Heath was sought for the stabbing death of Dennis McCarthy at McCarthy’s Holly Township home.

Homicide of Dennis McCarthy

 As reported in the Times in 2009, McCarthy, 64, of Holly Township, had pleaded guilty to a sexual assault in September 2008. He was released from jail just days prior to the break-in and attack at 4 a.m., Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009, and was living with his wife at their Riviera Shores Drive home.

 According to Det. Sgt. Gary Muir (now retired) of the Michigan State Police Metro North Groveland Post, the investigation revealed that McCarthy’s wife heard noises. She went to investigate, and checked the doors to make sure they were all locked. While checking a rear door, an intruder walked through an unlocked door.

 McCarthy’s wife screamed at the intruder and yelled for her husband. McCarthy confronted the intruder and a struggle ensued. During the altercation, McCarthy was stabbed by the intruder. Despite being stabbed, McCarthy chased the intruder out of the home, before collapsing from his injuries.

 The suspect, later identified as Heath, fled on foot. A K-9 unit was unable to pick up a track.

 McCarthy’s wife was not harmed and detectives did not believe this crime was a random act of violence. State police reported in 2012 that Heath was connected to a youth who had been sexually assaulted by McCarthy and that was his motive for killing McCarthy.

 In 2003, an Oakland County Circuit Court jury found McCarthy not guilty of molesting five girls. In 2007, a charge of second-degree criminal sexual conduct came after McCarthy was accused of molesting his then 4-year-old grandson, in his Holly Township home.

 Muir said in 2009 that during the 2003 case, McCarthy’s daughter-in-law testified on his behalf. He added that this same woman later went to the police in 2007 after her son told her about some incidents with his biological grandfather.

     Following McCarthy’s death, Muir said, “Regardless of his past, he didn’t deserve this.” He added that the state police would be investigating this homicide, just as it would any homicide, “regardless of his past history.”

Heath’s teen years

 In 1995, Heath, and two other individuals, all teens at the time, were convicted in Oakland County Circuit Court on charges of arson, burglary and malicious destruction of property after the old Holly High School (current Karl Richter Community Center) was set on fire, where one wing of the school was destroyed, according to a 1995 upi.com article. The $2 million loss was covered by the school’s fire insurance.

(1) comment


So, wait. Someone sexually assaulted a child and spent less than a year in prison? Wow.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.